I’m back! And hopefully on a more consistent basis. I figure I no longer have moving into a house as an excuse anymore, so now I have to be accountable for myself. Though I do still have a fair bit of unpacking to do, life is no longer so crazy that I don’t even have time to think. Which is perfect for me, because National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo to those in the know) is coming up, and I need to get back in the habit of writing every day. To be completely honest, I need to get back in the habit of writing every day anyway, NaNoWriMo or not. I am a writer at heart (I got the double major in literary studies and creative writing to prove it!), and every self-respecting writer knows that you should write every day not just because it’s good discipline and practice, but because it’s a release; it’s therapeutic. I always feel like a big piece of me is missing when I haven’t written for a long time, and it’s no different this time around. So long story short, I feel like I’ve just taken a big ol’ swig of clean air now that I’m writing again. I hope to keep it up.
And what better way to reintroduce myself to my readers and this blog than an epic checkmark off my Things To Do Before I Die list? So without further adieu (ado? I feel I should know this by now. Something to look up, I ‘spose.):
23) Be a part of a flash mob!
That’s right. I (not-so-convincingly) blended in with a crowd before spontaneously bursting into a dance routine with about 80 other people. I actually accomplished this over a month ago, but I only now have had the time to blog about it. Let me tell you, it was SUCH a rush and so completely worth it! I remember having huge butterflies in my stomach during rehearsal, and I also remember having the hugest smile on my face as I finally went out and did it. It was such a short routine, but man, was it a workout! Add that to doing the routine full-on and in hot, sunny weather, and I was exhausted but ecstatic when it was over. It is a memory I will cherish for a very long time. Here are some pictures from the event*. Please excuse the horrible, non-professional blurring out of faces that I did. I don’t have permission to post their faces publicly, so I don’t want to overstep any privacy boundaries. I also blurred out other defining details of exactly where this Flash Mob took place because I am still uncomfortable disclosing my approximate whereabouts.
*Special thanks to Marci for being my partner in crime and for taking these pictures! I had a wonderful time with her and was glad she was able to capture such an amazing moment in my life. Her blog is pretty cool, too. You should check it out. 🙂
About a month ago, I started doing Friend Making Mondays surveys, and I’m quite behind, so I’ll do two of them here. I won’t force you to read them unless you’re truly interested, and if you do happen to make it through both of them, I applaud you (and will somehow figure out how to give you a big, shiny gold star). Enjoy! 🙂
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
FMM: Quick and Random
1. Choose three songs that would be on the soundtrack of your life. “Take Me As I Am” by Sugarland, “Grown-Up Christmas List” by Amy Grant (because I’m one of those weird people who love Christmas all year round and I love the message on this one), and the Smurfs theme song (long story).
2. Share the details of one project that you’re currently working on.
Since my hubby and I just moved into our first (and, if all goes well, only) home, my biggest project is unpacking and decorating. This is the first time I’m able to have complete creative control and it’s challenging but fun at the same time. Right now I’m planning on decoupaging the back of my reading room bookshelves to match the colors that are currently in there. We’ll see how that goes. And this weekend we’re going to build a window seat. So excited!
3. If you could learn to do one thing overnight what would it be? How to get hired at my dream job.
4. If you could be a fictional character which one would you be? It seems as if all my favorite fictional characters, whether from book or film/TV, have some sort of tragic or stressful event that they’ve gone through. There aren’t many that I would wish for my own life, so that’s a hard question. Either Harriet Welsch from Harriet the Spy or Lorelei Gilmore from Gilmore Girls.
5. What’s your favorite thing about the month of October? There isn’t just one thing that I can choose. I’d have to say boots, the gorgeous fall colors on the trees, and pumpkin pie.
6. Share one TV show that you’re embarrassed to admit you watch. There are so many reality TV shows I’m embarassed to admit I watch. Perhaps most of all would be The Bachelor/Bachelorette.
7. Name one friend that you’re thankful to have in your life today. This is going to sound cliche, but trust me, for me, it’s not: I’m thankful for my husband. I don’t acknowledge him for being a good friend enough, and especially throughout the last few months, I’m so thankful to have him support me through some rough spots and loving me through me being awesome, but especially through me being grouchy and grumpy and mopey and stressed and sometimes just being silly old me (not everyone understands that sometimes, no matter how old you are, it’s important to be silly and act like a kid…those who don’t understand that, I feel immensely sorry for). He is a wonderful friend in every sense of the word, and I am so very thankful to have him in my life, even though sometimes I’m sure he doesn’t feel like I am.
8. What was the most relaxing part of your weekend? This weekend we had our housewarming party, and I played hostess like I always do. I love it because it’s a part of my nature to be a people-pleaser, but it is a lot of hard work! So I have to say it was when I finished cooking and prepping and was able to kick back, relax, and chat with friends.
9. Do you like to dance? LOVE it! There’s something so fun and silly and energizing about it. (Says the person who had a Flash Mob on her list, so this is kind of a “no duh” answer.)
10. Share one thing that you’re looking forward to before the end of the year. I’m so excited for the Christmas season to come around and to decorate for the holidays. It’ll be the first Christmas in my very own home and I can’t wait to hang out on my window seat and gaze up at the twinkling lights on the tree.
FMM: Inside My Home