Welcome to a new week, everyone! How has yours been going so far? I battled a killer headache all weekend (I might even daresay that it was a migraine, but since I’ve never had one before, I don’t really know what the signs are), but I still got a lot done. I’m pretty proud of that. I’ve really been on a roll with domestic upkeep, and I’m hoping it stays. In some ways, though, it’s kicked in my OCD tendencies. So every time I see something even a centimeter out of place, I have to put it back or I get twitchy.
Anyhow, it’s Monday again, so that means another Friend Makin’ Monday! Let’s get this party started! 🙂
1. Do you wear glasses and/or contacts? I do I do! I love love LOVE my glasses. I may have mentioned it before, but here it is again: I was that weird kid who actually wanted glasses. I thought they made me look smart and sophisticated and gave my face an extra oomph. Starting in high school, I even wore fake glasses from time to time (the kind with the plastic lenses that you can get from Hot Topic). I loved the way they made me look. Then two years ago on March 8th (yes, I know my glassesversary!), I picked up my very first pair of glasses! I’d never been to a bonafide optometrist before (my previous vision tests were when we had the nurse come and do checkups in junior high). I’m sure I’ve needed glasses a long time before I actually got them, but it never really occurred to my parents that my vision was that bad. My vision’s 20/40, I believe, just on the cusp of needing glasses to drive, but I never leave home without them. They are my absolutely favorite accessory!
My glasses progression: without glasses, with fake glasses, my first day of my official pair of glasses, 3/8/2011!
2. Do you have summer vacation plans? If so, where are you going? I feel like I’m on vacation just in my beautiful home. We have a four-day weekend coming up where we were supposed to go camping with friends but that got cancelled, so we’re thinking of taking advantage of that and going somewhere fun. Honestly, we don’t usually do summer vacations; rather, we do spring vacations (take a week or so off right after our wedding anniversary). This year we went to Banff, Alberta, and it was AMAZING. Also, I’ve been doing my Passport to Love project, and we’re going to “London” in July. 🙂
3. What is your favorite food to eat for breakfast? If calories didn’t matter, I’d have to say I absolutely love Monte Cristo sandwiches! With raspberry jam, not maple syrup. Mmm mmm mmm… I also love eggs benedict with avocado added. If calories did matter, I’d have to say a nice, juicy slice (or five) of papaya and a banana. When we visited family in the Philippines a couple years ago, that was our breakfast pretty much every day (okay, fine…that and the Filipino version of bacon, rice, and eggs…but still…), and I craved papaya like crazy when we came back to the states. Yummm.
4. Do you enjoy window shopping? I do, especially going to antique stores or a fancy hotel with shops inside, or a high-end shopping center. Really, I don’t get out much, so any outing is absolutely fascinating to me. Colors! Soft and fuzzy things! Glittery things! Shiny things! Oooh…hearts! Stars! I’m pretty easy to entertain. 🙂
5. What is your favorite candle scent? You know, it’s funny. We’ve got a ton of candles in our house, but I never really paid any attention to which one was my favorite scent. I do love the smell of coconut in general, and we have a Yankee Candle votive in Black Coconut, which is delicious, but I think even more than that, I love candles that smell like winter. We have a wonderful triple-scented/layered one from Woodwick that cycles through different pine scents, and it’s heavenly. Pier 1 Imports also had a line for awhile that smelled like different desserts that I love. Hmm. Now I think I need to make it a mission to go sniffing for my favorite candle scent! 🙂
6. If you had to choose between going to a zoo or an aquarium, which one would you pick? I’m incredibly lucky to not have to choose because the closest thing to us a combination zoo/aquarium. I love it. If I did have to pick, though, I’d choose an aquarium. I love watching the animals play in the water, and dolphins are my second-favorite animal (after unicorns, of course). Also, much less chance of getting bug bites. HUGE positive.
7. How many times do you plan to exercise this week? At least three. We’ll see what really happens, though.
8. Do you speak another language fluently? I can understand Tagalog (Filipino) fluently, but it takes me awhile to form a sentence and speak it. I’m also pretty good at American Sign Language.
9. What are you currently reading? Ha! I’m always in the middle of a bazillion books, but the one I’ve been spending the most time on (and, consequently, the one I’ve gotten the farthest in) is Jen Lancaster’s new book “The Tao of Martha”. It’s awesome, but then again, I’ve been a huge fan of Jen’s since her first book “Bitter is the New Black”. The book is great so far, her memoirs usually are. She’s taking on a year of living like Martha Stewart, but if you know her (through her memoirs) like I do, you know some hysterics and missteps are bound to happen. Just a note: this memoir has a bit more of a serious/sad tone (won’t give anything away), so if you haven’t read anything from the world of Jennsylvania yet, I’d recommend either starting from the beginning or her most acclaimed book, “Such a Pretty Fat” if you want to dip your toe into classic Jen.
10. What are you looking forward to most in the coming week? I’d have to say the weekend. My town is doing its annual founders’ day festival (I know…who actually does those anymore except for in Stars Hollow [from Gilmore Girls], right?!? Um, my town).
Holy cow!!! I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to go so far into detail for every question! Anyway, thanks for sticking with it if you read the whole thing. 🙂 Feel free to link up at alltheweigh.com too if you want to join in on the fun!