So I may be one of the few people on the planet who didn’t know the whole Parks & Rec “Treat Yo’ Self” reference until just a couple weeks ago. I was talking to one of my friends, telling her that she should treat herself every now and then, and she promptly posted the video. I am now sufficiently educated. 🙂
Anyhow, continuing with my “reaching out” theme for Lent, I’m doing a new Tuesday link up today with Becky at Olives ‘n’ Wine which completely revolves around the idea of treating yourself.
Here’s the deal if you’re interested in joining:
“Between now and Tuesday, do something nice for yourself. Wake up a few minutes early and enjoy a nice, hot cup of coffee before your hectic day begins. Take a bubble bath when you get home from work Monday evening. Spend some extra time stretching after your workout this weekend. Treat yourself to a cookie or some froyo this afternoon. Or maybe head out on a girls’ night this weekend.
Do whatever feels best for you. Do something that will make you feel relaxed and loved and happy. Remember this is about treating YOURSELF – not your friends, not your family, not your spouse, not your dog – so make sure you really focus on you. Treat yourself well and treat yourself often so that you will become the best you possible and in turn be your best for others in your life!
After you have your little treat yourself moment or moments (If you can sneak more than one in – go right ahead!) include my Treat Yourself Tuesday image on your Tuesday post, include a link back to ONW on your post, link up on my blog and check out how everyone else treated themselves!”
The treat yourself “theme”, if you will, has been treating yourself on a budget. That’s so appropriate for me since we’ve drastically cut our already-sparse budget in order to be able to pay for our spring vacation. Every treat I have is definitely considered a “budget” treat. On the bright side, I think being on a budget makes all the treats all the sweeter!
Here’s What I Treated Myself to This Week!
1) Writing in my journal. I’d made it a New Year’s goal (I don’t really make resolutions because they usually end up being broken) to write in my journal 10 minutes a day, but that never came to fruition. I’d slacked for a good month or so and it felt good to just sit down with the snazzy new pens that the hubs gave me for Valentine’s Day and just treat myself to some writing therapy. It was wonderful.
This picture is actually from a couple years back, but you get the idea. 🙂
Just a few of the colors of InkJoy pens I received for Valentine’s Day that I wrote with (I know it seems silly, but I totally DROOLED over these pens after I saw the commercial. They’re WONDERFUL. And they make me want a Spirograph again.)
2) A social road trip. After the hubby and I moved in 2011, our hang out time with mutual friends became few and far between because they now lived an hour’s drive north of us. We all lead busy lives and so it was difficult to be able to schedule time together. This past weekend, in keeping with my “reaching out”, we spent time with some of our dearest friends, making stops at different friends’ places along the way. It was great to be able to catch up. We played board games and went out to lunch with some (it was one of their birthdays), then decided to pay a get well visit to a friend who had gotten a vicious car accident. We enjoyed some good laughs and good food.
3) “Not everyday” food. I made some sheep cupcakes for said friend’s birthday since he’s a big fan of sheep. I’ll post pictures next. We also went out to Red Robin and I had their bottomless fries with BBQ sauce and ranch. At our other friend’s place, we brought some chips and salsa to munch on while we watched Shrek the Musical on Netflix. Mind you, this isn’t food we have every day, so I indulged in the taste of it all. I then promptly doubled up on my workout time for the following day, but the yumminess was SO so worth it!
4) Being silly. So, speaking of abovementioned sheep cupcakes, this is what they were SUPPOSED to look like (from Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes book):
Cute, fluffy sheep.
This is what ours turned out to look like:
We started out trying to make it look like the picture, but after hilariously failing, we decided to have fun with it and make our “Island of Misfit Sheep”. Of course I had to make a unicorn sheep. We had an absolute blast.
Also, we decided to babysit for a friend at the last minute (hey, more reaching out! Score!) and had fun being silly and dancing along to the radio. It was a big ol’ dance party and it was a wonderful treat for myself. Then again, being silly is always a nice treat! 🙂
5) Staying up late to read (and finish!) a book. Last time I was at the library, I decided to pick this young adult book up on a whim. I ended up inhaling it and spending some nights staying up until 2AM, and I don’t regret it one bit. It’s been awhile since a book has sucked me in that much, and I just finished it a few days ago.
It’s about a teen named Rosemary Goode and her journey to losing weight. Of course it’s much more than that, but that’s the basic gist of it. It was completely indulgent and required no thinking whatsoever, but fun nonetheless. Being an English major, I treat myself to non-classic literature often. It’s a lot of fun!
6) Creative projects. Since we became homeowners, I’ve slacked off significantly in the crafting department. I remember when I first started up this blog, I’d churn out one new Pinterest-inspired craft about once a week or so. Over the weekend, I made a fun little 3-page collage card for the friend who’d gotten in a car accident:
It reminded me of just how much I love doing these little collages. I need to do more soon!
To Indulging in Life’s Little Pleasures!