I haven’t given myself a checkmark in awhile, so I figured this new Lent series I’m doing to reach out is a good a time as any to dust the cobwebs off it and use it. Continuing on my search for awesome new link ups, today I’m linking up with Amanda over at running with spoons.
This one I think perfectly matched up with what I usually do on Thursdays, anyway, so totally a win-win situation! Except with this link up I do little snippets of what I’m thinking right now as opposed to one long (sometimes rambling) post on a very specific subject that I took time to think about.
So, regular Thoughts on Thursday is Violet thinking…Thinking Out Loud Thursday link ups is Violet thinking without any censors…any questions??? 😉 (If so, feel free to leave them as a comment at the end!)
If, at the end of reading my random craziness and want to join in on the link up fun, you can see the complete rules here. Well, here goes nothing! 🙂
1) Coconut oil. YUM. Where have you been all my life? Aside from the fact that coconut is one of my very favorite scents in the whole universe (others being vanilla, pineapple, snow, and bookstores–yes, they have a smell), the wonderful creations in which coconut oil is an ingredient are drool-worthy. I was hosting a “Gal”-entine’s party (though I’m married, I still love doing Valentine’s-y things with my gal pals) and trying to think of a good treat I can make for a friend who’s doing a raw vegan diet, and I came upon a recipe for strawberry milkshake fudge. Yes, you heard me right. Strawberry. Milkshake. Fudge. Turns out she couldn’t make it to the party, but I ended up making the fudge anyway, and it was a hit even to those not on a diet. I fully plan on making it again. Anyway, that recipe called for some coconut oil, so I grabbed a jar from my mom’s house that she said she never used. So I had all this leftover coconut oil that I had to figure out something to do with. Since then, I’ve fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the coconut oil and made a scrumptious tofu curry with it. The jar’s almost empty and now I’m thinking it’s an ingredient I should always keep on hand.
This is the kind I have. Amazing.
2) My doggie chewing. It’s probably one of the cutest things I’ve seen (but then again, my doggie generates many cute things). For those who have dogs with a snout that sticks out (as opposed to a dog like a pug or bulldog–not that I have anything against these breeds, but their non-snouts don’t quite have the same effect), you probably know what I’m talking about. Watching those little micro-muscles help with his mastication is so endearing. It looks like he’s opening his mouth to talk. And he gives a little Elvis lip sometimes when he’s concentrating really hard on chewing. I picture him having a mafia-type voice in these moments. When he’s not chewing, I picture his voice as a bit dopey and Gomer-y.
Questions: What’s your favorite part of your pet, if you have one? What kind of voice do you picture them to have?
3) Dancing With the Stars. The new season’s premiere starts on March 17th. I’m pretty stoked for it. I gotta admit I was a little confused when I saw Erin Andrews in the cast picture. I was all, “What the heck? Is she going to compete again? Why isn’t anyone else getting a second chance (barring the DWTS all stars season they had)?” And then I found out she was going to be the co-host, and that’s pretty cool. I mean, she’s already a seasoned interviewer and she has the added benefit of having gone through the DWTS process. I’m excited to see what kind of host she’ll be. The contestants I’m most excited about are Candace Cameron, Danica Mckellar, and Drew Carey.
But…no Harold Wheeler and the band? What the heck?!
That being said, I’m curious about this whole “switching partners” twist. It should be interesting. Anyone know if they’re going back to the Monday & Tuesday format, or are they going to do Mondays-only like last season (totally lame, by the way)?
4) The Bachelor. Yeah. So, speaking of reality TV…(hey, don’t judge)
Is it just me, or is this season pretty boring? For some reason I find myself either skipping episodes or not paying attention to what’s going on, and I’ve never once done this for any Bachelor/Bachelorette season. For the record, I’ve been watching ever since Brad Womack, Part One, which I believe was back in 2007? But I’ve since done a little research (I’m nothing if not thorough sometimes) and I’m familiar with Trista’s season, and Andy/Tessa’s season, and the whole Jen Scheft book deal thing. (I promise that I do have a life.) I just don’t think Juan Pablo’s got anything going for him. It was kinda like Ben’s season, but I don’t remember how I managed to not skip any Ben episodes. I did enjoy that finally someone had the courage to speak out and say what was on the audience’s minds: Juan Pablo’s a pretty shallow guy who doesn’t ask anything about anyone else. I’m glad that caught on and turned into a discussion during the Women Tell All.
Anyway. For those of you who participate in the train wreck that is watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette, who was your favorite and least favorite? For the record, my all-time favorite is Jillian Harris by a landslide. Love that girl!
Also, if you happen to be a fan of her fashion and interior designing as much as I am, she has a blog! Check it out!
5) Shakira. Um. Okay, last mention of reality TV, but watching this second season of The Voice with her as one of the judges has just solidified how awesome I think Shakira is. I totally get why people crush on her now: she’s sexy without trying too hard, nice, genuine, and really smart. What else could you ask for? Also, Adam & Blake are freakin’ adorable.
Usher, though? Meh.
6) “Happy” by Pharrell (sp?) Williams, from Despicable Me 2 soundtrack. I’m probably gonna get flack for this, but I feel like this song is the modern-day “My Life Will Go On” by Celine Dion. Good song in its own right, and catchy. But after hearing it over and over and over again, I can’t get it out of my head and kinda wish it would go away for a little while so I can like it again. Also, “Let it Go” from Frozen. I’ve heard so many remakes, parodies, and in different languages. Just can’t handle anymore.
7) Jennifer Nettles. To end on a positive note, though, the music I am totally digging is on the new solo album by Jennifer Nettles. Great melodies, great lyrics, great voice (at least in my humble opinion). I dig it all. What new albums are you enjoying?
Here’s my favorite song so far from her album, though that changes on a weekly basis:
BONUS: While searching for a video of this song on YouTube, I just now discovered it’s the next single off of her album and I got to watch the lyric video! Hooray for happy surprises! 🙂
Thanks everyone for following my random ramblings.
To Saying What’s On Your Mind!